Cooking Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4
This super cheap, incredibly easy and delicious recipe is completely vegan friendly. Impress friends and family with this warm, hearty, home-cooked meal and for an extra treat serve with garlic bread and top with nutritional yeast flakes or grated vegan cheese.
250g – 300g Spaghetti
1 Clove garlic, finely chopped
1 Medium onion, diced
1 tbsp. dried mixed Italian herbs
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
6 tbsp. dried soya mince (we used mutton flavoured) OR 6 tbsp. precooked lentils
½ packet of bolognaise spice (check ingredients list, the one we use is vegan friendly and is mainly dried onion, tomato, garlic and paprika)
1.5 cups water
1 tin tomato + onion mix
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. sunflower oil.
- Gently heat the sunflower oil in a large saucepan
- Add onions, garlic and sugar – cover and simmer over a medium heat, stir occasionally until caramelized (10-15 minutes)
- Add the soya mince or lentils, stir and fry for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, add 1.5 cups of water and the tin of tomato & onion mix cover the pan and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the remaining seasoning (bolognaise mix, Italian herbs, salt and pepper), stir, cover and leave to simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes or until sauce has reduced and thickened.
- In a separate pot, boil water with a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp. of sunflower oil. When the water is boiling, add the spaghetti or pasta of your choice. Let the spaghetti cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 – 15 minutes or until al dente.
Serve & enjoy! The sauce is rich in flavour and will remind you of your mom’s classic home cooking.