Preparation Time: 30 minutes Servings: 2 Large Burgers
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
This bean burger is filling, nutritious and absolutely delicious. Inexpensive, easy to make and guaranteed to sort your burger cravings out no problem at all! Grab that tin of kidney beans you never thought you’d use and get cooking.
For the burger:
1 tin kidney beans, drained and washed
½ cup flour
½ onion, finely chopped
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax with 6 tbsp. water)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp. dried Italian herbs, crushed in palm
1 tbsp. Cajun spice
1 tsp. dried chilli flakes
Juice of ½ lemon & zest of ¼ lemon
1/2 tbsp. salt
pinch of pepper
2 sweet potatoes, cut as preferred for chips/ fries.
Handful of fresh mushrooms
1 clove garlic
Large pinch of Italian herbs.
Handful of babygem lettuce
Tomato, thinly sliced
½ onion, thinly sliced
Fresh burger rolls
We served our bean burgers on fresh rolls, topped with salad and some delicious garlic mushrooms. For an extra treat serve with vegan cheese or carrot bacon.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, herbs, spice, seasoning and chilli flakes) in a bowl and put to one side.
- Roughly mash the kidney beans in a bowl with a fork.
- Add the finely chopped onion and garlic into the bean mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bean mixture, stir very well to form a sticky paste.
- Once a paste has formed (add more flour if the mixture is not sticky enough), dust a chopping board with flour.
- Divide the bean mixture into 2 equal portions (or 4 portions if you want to make smaller burgers)
- Scoop the first portion onto the chopping board, dust with flour to make the burger easier to work with then press and shape into a patty.
- You can oven cook or deep fry the sweet potato fries depending on your preference; they should take around 20 minutes to cook.
- Gently heat a lightly oiled a medium saucepan for the burgers.
- Once hot, add the burgers allowing them to gently fry for 10- 15 minutes on either side or until golden brown and firm.
- Only turn the burgers once so don’t flip them until they are ready.
- When the burgers are golden brown, take them off the heat and place them onto a plate to rest (you can put the burgers onto paper towel to absorb any excess oil here).
- Serve when hot & don’t forget to load up on delicious toppings!
This will satisfy your burger cravings and is so simple to make. It’s a great after work meal, is full of goodness and is packed with protein so dig in and FEEL GREAT.