Preparation Time: 15 – 20 minutes Servings: 2
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Beanballs… underrated, delicious, versatile. We chose to make our beanballs with kidney beans but feel free to use blackbeans as that will be delicious too. I couldn’t eat half a tin of kidney beans mixed into a salad or in a sauce but I could eat all 10 of these beanballs without a second thought. To get more goodness in your diet without having to eat meals you do not absolutely love, try these beanballs today!
1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp. lemon zest & a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. Italian herbs
½ onion, finely chopped
A generous pinch of salt
A pinch of pepper
¼ cup – ¾ cup flour (until desired consistency is reached)
Tomato Pasta sauce
4 tomatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp. mixed herbs
1 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. sun dried tomato pesto (optional, ensure it is vegan)
- Mash the kidney beans in a bowl with a fork until a paste is formed.
- Stir in the finely chopped onion.
- Crush the spices in your palm and add them to the paste.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest, stir well.
- Add the remaining seasoning (salt and pepper).
- Now slowly add flour until a workable dough is formed.
- Split the mix and roll into balls, we made 10 balls from one tin of kidney beans.
- For the tomato sauce: caramalize the onions over a medium – high heat for about 5 minutes, add the finely chopped garlic and allow to sweat over a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Now add the mixed herbs, tomato paste and tomato pesto and cover the mixture, allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. There should be enough moisture from the fresh tomatoes to form the sauce but you can always add a few tablespoons of water while cooking if necessary.
- The sauce needs to cook for a further 15 minutes so let’s cook the beanballs while it simmers: heat up vegetable oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the beanballs when the oil is hot and simmer until golden brown. Try to only turn the beanballs once, allowing them to cook for around 10 minutes on either side. The beanballs should be golden brown with a slight outer crisp.
Serve with spaghetti, a hearty sprinkling of nutritional yeast and some fresh-from-the-oven garlic bread.