Preparation Time: 10 minutes Servings: 2
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
This is a perfect option for lunch – it’s nutritious, delicious and doesn’t take long to make. The lentil, rice and avo combo is perfect and it’s guaranteed to leave you feeling full.
¾ cup uncooked rice
1/2 tin peas
Lentil base sauce: (1 cup dried whole lentils
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 cup water or vegetable stock)
1 ripe avocado
Juice from ¼ of a lemon
Salt & pepper
- Make a batch of lentil base sauce – you can do this the day before or use leftovers if you are in need of a quick bite to eat or feel free to make it fresh for this recipe.
If you are making the lentil sauce specifically for this recipe, start with this first as the lentils will need to cook for slightly longer than the rice. Once the lentils have been simmering for about 10 minutes, start prepping for the rice.
- Boil salted water, once boiling add the rice and stir occasionally
- After 10 minutes, drain the water, rinse the rice and then cover with fresh water and put back on the heat to boil.
- Once the rice is cooked (another 10 or so minutes), drain the remaining water and mix in the 1/2 tin of peas. Cover and leave to one side.
- Once the lentil mix is warmed up and ready, portion the rice and pea mix into bowls.
- Spoon the warmed up lentil mix on top.
- Top the dish with slices of fresh avo, a large pinch of salt, pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Dig in and enjoy!
This bowl is seriously moreish. The avocado perfectly rounds up the dish and brings everything together. Every mouthful is packed with flavour thanks to the zingy squeeze of lemon. Enjoy and feel great inside and out.