Cooking Time: 15 minutes Servings: 2
The vegan revolution is coming and carrot bacon is their leader. Ok, I have no idea if carrot bacon is a thing or not but this is a dish we have stumbled upon and now we cannot get enough of it. These crispy bacon bits add another dimension to many meals, we’ve used them for BLTs, on top of beans on toast and even mixed into mashed potatoes. All you need is a few carrots, a peeler and some of your favourite spices. For our recipe, we used Braai & Grill seasoning with a touch of coriander and cumin spice mix.
2 carrots, washed and peeled.
2 tbsp. barbeque/ bacon type seasoning (we are using Braai & Grill Seasoning spice).
> The ingredients of the seasoning we use is; sea salt, onion, garlic, sugar, yeast extract, sundried tomato and lemon.
2 tsp. spice mix
> ideal mix: coriander seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and paprika flakes
3 tbsp. vegetable oil for marinade.
1.5 tbsp. vegetable oil for cooking
- Once the carrots are washed and peeled, use the peeler to get large thin strips from the carrot – push down to get thicker bacon strips.
- Mix the seasoning with 3 tablespoons of oil to make a nice dressing/ marinade for the carrot strips.
- Stir the carrots into the seasoning mix until all the carrot strips are equally covered.
- Now the carrots are all coated with the seasoning, heat a large frying pan on a high heat with 1.5 tablespoons of oil. If you want your bacon super crispy cook it with 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan.
- Add some carrot strips to the hot pan, try to lay them out evenly so they cook nicely. You will see the edges of the strips begin to darken, turn the bacon over every so often until the strips are getting nice and crispy – it’s better to cook these by the eye and by how crispy you like your carrot bacon but as a guide it should take a few minutes on each side over a high heat. The hot oil will help to make the bacon crispy.
- As soon as you see the bacon is deliciously crispy, scoop it from the pan and onto a plate (you can put it onto paper towel to help soak up any excess oil). You now have a perfect snack.
Enjoy the carrot bacon in all its glory or mix/ add/ sprinkle onto your favourite dishes.