Preparation Time: 10 minutes Servings: 2
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Cous Cous is a great go-to when it comes to making food FAST. It’s so easy and quick to do, you literally add hot water, stir, cover and let it sit for 10 minutes then… it’s done. Stock up on cous cous for your busy days so you don’t have to settle for dry toast again!
1 cup cous cous (we used Mediterranean flavour with oregano, sundried tomato & other herbs already mixed in)
1 cup boiling water
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced
½ head of broccoli, keep the broccoli relatively chunky
1 tomato, finely diced
1 eggplant/ aubergine, diced
Large handful of sprouts, halved
4 tbsp soy sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
- Pour the cup of hot water into the bowl of cous cous, cover and leave to stand. Note: if your cous cous is plain you can add some herbs/ seasoning to jazz it up a little.
- While the cous cous cooks, heat some oil in a large pan.
- Caramelize the garlic and onion with 1 tbsp. sugar over a medium heat.
- Turn the heat up to high, add the carrot, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the aubergine, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and sprouts, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato & soy sauce, stir so all the veggies are covered and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave to stand for a few minutes.
- Stir the cous cous with a fork so the grains separate, add it to the vegetables, serve hot & enjoy!
The vegetables are delicately flavoured to allow each of their individual tastes to come through. This makes a great packed lunch, on the go meal, salad or side dish. Dig in to this and eat as much as you want because it’s healthy!
Cous cous is high in Selenium, providing 61% of the daily recommended value
Selenium acts as an antioxidant & in potassium, providing 39% of the daily recommended value. Potassium regulates blood pressure and assists with muscle contraction. 6 grams of protein per 1 cup cooked cous cous isn’t bad going either- think about how packed full of goodness this dish is with all those delicious vegetables too.